Critical Need to Address Impact of Covid-19 on Children
CSO Platform For Reform – Child Cluster
Child Rights Coalition Malaysia (CRCM)
Pernyataan Masalah / Isu:
1. Welfare and wellbeing of the child after their parent/parents death or whose parents have been
hospitalised for Covid-19 due to lack of coordination between Government departments and NGOs
and private sector. This includes financial, legal, mental health, education and case management.
2. Lack of temporary safe placements for children whose parents are hospitalized and/or orphaned.
3. Other issues include collateral health morbidity, downward poverty spiral, education gaps,
worsening childhood malnutrition, trapped in abuse, loss of focus and support for indigenous
children, arrest and detention by authorities, challenges faced by disabled children, severe reduction
in birth rates leading to generational gaps.
Nilai dan Kepercayaan:
Establish an independent Children’s Department to coordinate all Government agencies addressing
the issues of all children. This should include a National Child Policy and a strategic plan of action
that encompasses emergency response to immediate and long term prevention, intervention, care,
and rehabilitation support systems.
Cadangan Penyelesaian dan Seruan Tindakan:
1. Amplify inter-agency efforts and coordination on prevention and response to children
affected by Covid-19.
2. CPRD should coordinate and set up a Special Committee including MOH , JKM and NGOs to
develop an emergency response to this critical issue to facilitate the sharing of information
for intervention and support for such children immediately.
3. Assignment of Fit Person for Orphaned Child (foster care, kinship, community based,
family based and residential care
In accordance with Section 30(c) of the Child Act, a child with no parent or guardian shall be
placed under the care of a foster parent or a fit and proper person. Finding a foster parent/a
suitable fit person/relative/family member for orphaned children is vital as they would be
able to overcome the grief of losing their loved one, have their basic needs and emotional
support met and protect them from all forms of violence.
Isu dan Polisi Semasa:
Nilai-nilai & Kepercayaan: