Anti-Trafficking In Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants and Modern Slavery Act 2020
Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights
Pernyataan Masalah / Isu:
The Anti-Trafficking In Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants is legislature that aims to combat human trafficking and smuggling of migrants, however, does not extend to protect migrants from forced labour and other forms of modern day exploitation. Therefore, current legislature must be amended to account for forced labour that does not fall under human trafficking and smuggling of migrants.
Nilai dan Kepercayaan:
The government does not meet the minimum standards for eliminating human trafficking and is not making significant efforts to do so, therefore Malaysia has been downgraded to Tier 3.The government continues to conflate human trafficking and migrant smuggling crimes and did not adequately address or criminally pursue credible allegations from multiple sources alleging labor trafficking.
Cadangan Penyelesaian dan Seruan Tindakan:
1. Criminalizing forced labor/ modern slavery independent of anti-trafficking
2. Ensuring Malaysian laws accommodate modern forms of exploitation
- Elements such as psychological coercion, deception, fraud and abuse of vulnerabilities
3. Increasing sanctions for forced labor, modern slavery, human trafficking, smuggling of
migrants et cetera
4. Holding corporations/ supply chains accountable practices that support human
trafficking and modern slavery.
Isu dan Polisi Semasa:
Nilai-nilai & Kepercayaan: