Anti-Trafficking In Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants and Modern Slavery Act 2020
Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights
1. Criminalizing forced labor/ modern slavery independent of anti-trafficking
2. Ensuring Malaysian laws accommodate modern forms of exploitation
- Elements such as psychological coercion, deception, fraud and abuse of vulnerabilities
3. Increasing sanctions for forced labor, modern slavery, human trafficking, smuggling of
migrants et cetera
4. Holding corporations/ supply chains accountable practices that support human
trafficking and modern slavery.
Employer, migrant, refugee and undocumented worker’s right should be protected by law and a system.
Comprehensive system need to be implemented to record data of employers and migrant workers so that no one can run away from their responsibilities. The system can record how much expenses for first employer paid to bring in one migrant worker, let say 10k, when Migrant worker had resign or run away, the second employer need to share the expenses. Migrant worker court needs to be implemented to protect employer and worker’s rights. Malaysia employers right also need to be protected by easy and fast to apply work permit for undocumented to avoid pay more than 10k to agent with corrupted money or get summon more than 10k if caught use undocumented workers. Employer should be able to get immediate approval like apply MITI allow business letter online so that no one will want to employ undocumented worker but subjected to online medical report and system data check to no serious dispute with previous employer and no serious criminal record. All migrant workers need to pay EPF, SOCSO and income tax monthly so that they are protected and contributing to our country economy.
Migrant Workers Right To Redress Coalition
North South Initiative
1. Comprehensive policy for MW from recruitment to return
2. One-stop centre for migrant workers
3. One ministry to manage MW
4. Access to justice – free legal aid
5. Access to affordable and universal health care
6. International investigation and prosecution for trafficking and smuggling of MW.
7. Full and equal labour rights
8. Ratify all labour conventions related to labour migration esp. ILO Core Conventions
9. Provide government funding for providing services to migrant workers.
10. Efforts to stop forced labour in global supply chains.
11. Zero recruitment fees
12. Transparency and making data related to labour public.
13. Decriminalising immigration offences and treating it as administrative violations.