Universal access to arts and culture education for all students
Arts and culture education sounds trivial today when many children are being deprived of basic education. But our education system was in a crisis even before the Covid-19 pandemic struck – our schools are not preparing our children with skills and knowledge for a future of “innovation, disruption and constant change, where adaptability and learning agility are most needed” (World Economic Forum).
The pandemic is giving us a chance to reset.
Research shows that arts and culture is closely linked to academic achievement, social and emotional development, civic engagement, and equitable opportunity.
There is already lot of policy and institutional support for STEM in Malaysia while there is none for arts and culture education. Making arts and culture an integral part of education will not affect the progress of STEM, but will only strengthen it. Arts learning can enhance math skills, cognitive ability, critical thinking, reading and verbal skills. Involvement in arts can also improve motivation, concentration, confidence, and teamwork.
Nilai dan Kepercayaan:
Various research shows that daily exposure to high-quality arts and culture education experiences can:
1. Develop the full range of cognitive, motor and problem-solving skills
2. Promote social and emotional learning
3. Maximise academic performance and college readiness across all subjects, including science and math
4. Teach students about other cultures and their own
5. Stimulate creativity
1. Increase range, flexibility and hours of arts and culture in all government primary and secondary schools
2. Provide financial allocation for arts and culture education exposure in
3. Allow secondary students from all streams to access arts and culture to promote arts appreciation
4. Access to quality arts education for all students with interest and talent in the arts
5 Create a pathway from primary school for students with interest and talent in the arts to be able to further their studies at Sekolah Seni and tertiary education
6. Education Ministry incentives for teachers to coach/mentor student with interest and talent in the arts after school hours, as well as the opportunity to develop their craft and pursue further training
7. Training for arts educators and funding for research and capacity building for arts and culture
Isu dan Polisi Semasa:
Nilai-nilai dan Kepercayaan: